One of the basic needs for human is food. But some run into trouble when making their choices. So whether you are prepping for your camping, emergency, or any natural disaster, you need to be vigilant on the type of food you go for. Having these best canned food for survival will get you started nicely.
But most people hit a snag when trying to figure out the best foods to buy. In case you may be wondering which foods to include in your list, here are 15 longest lasting canned foods for prepping storage you can take advantage of. But before we give you the lowdown, here are the benefits you would enjoy from canned foods.
Benefits of the best canned food for survival
Incredibly long shelf life
You will be surprised how long canned foods can last you. Some will last between two to 30 years while others will last you longer than this. This makes them a great source of nutrients during a disaster and low food supply.
Canned foods are regulated by the FDA to make sure all the industry standards are followed to the letter. Though manufacturers may add fat, salt, and other preservatives to increase the shelf life, the levels are regulated to make sure they are not a threat to human life. However, when shopping, you should check out the ingredients used to prevent any allergic reaction.
With canned food, you do not have to worry about freezers or any emergency. Under normal storage conditions, these food items can last you for long.
Having Canned food for survival is way cheaper than fresh foods. Better still; the cost reduces when you purchase in bulk, which means you will save a few bucks.
Now that you know the benefits of canned food for survival, here are 15 of the longest lasting and best canned food for survival.
Top 15 Best canned food for survival
Honey is one of the foods that can last forever without going bad. This is due to its low water level and high acidity levels, which prevents any bacteria from growing inside. Even when the sell-by date expires, you can rest assured that your honey is fit for consumption.
- A Unique Blend of Late Summer Honey Throughout South Florida
- Rich Dark Amber Honey That's Full of Flavor
- Raw, Unfiltered & Unpasteurized Honey
2. Powdered milk
Powdered milk is one of the great sources of proteins, and you can’t afford to miss several cans in the store. The milk can last for 20 years without going bad. However, the nutritional content is said to decline by 20% each year.
- Contains Whole Milk Power with added Vitamins A and D
- Product of Holland. Premium Quality.
- Produces milk with 3.5% milk fat when added to cold or hot drinking water
3. Canned Fish
Under proper storage conditions, canned fish can last you for up to three years. However, the shelf life will reduce drastically for opened cans. Fish is perishable, and any opened canned should be stored in a freezer to prevent it from going bad.
- Sustainable wild Alaskan Salmon – Our salmon is always sustainably sourced from small-scale fishing families in Alaska and British Columbia.
- Packed with protein, Omega-3s, Vitamin D & Calcium - each 3oz serving has 19g of protein, 100% daily value of Vitamin D, 10% daily value of calcium and an average of 1, 148mg EPA and DHA Omega-3s.
- Simple & pure ingredients – We never include any added water, oil or fillers. These Sockeye Salmon fillets are packed with just a touch of salt and that’s it.
Lentils are easy to prepare and an excellent source of fiber. Having several cans in-store will keep you nourished. Canned lentils can last you up to 5 years.
- Birch & Meadow Green Lentils
- Rich nutrients, great source of fiber, protein, and iron
- Dried lentils in a releasable bucket for pantry and storage
Canned fruits are a great source of vitamins and minerals. The cans feature different fruit types, which gives you the freedom to choose your preferred type. Under proper storage temperatures, canned fruits can last up to 2 years. They come in handy during low food supply and outdoor adventure.
- Twelve 15 oz cans of DEL MONTE Lite Sliced Bartlett Pears in Extra Light Syrup
- Canned fruit is a quick and easy way to have a ready to eat fruit snack in just minutes
- Made with pears picked and packed at the peak of freshness and immersed in extra light syrup
6. Instant coffee
Coffee is one of the items you can’t miss for your prepping. Its shelf life is incredible and a great way to stay energized. Instant coffee can last you up to 10 years so you can rest assured you have hot beverage anytime you need one.
- Starbucks VIA INSTANT COFFEE—Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this 50-count box of Starbucks VIA Instant Veranda Blend lightly roasted instant coffee
- VERANDA BLEND—Our lightest roasted coffee with notes of toasted malt and baking chocolate
- FRESH TASTE—Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards—freshly shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
7. Powdered eggs
Most people don’t know whether powdered eggs exist. You will be surprised that canned powdered eggs can last you up to 7 years. It is a great choice for preppers and a good source of proteins.
- Package contains the equivalent of 52 whole eggs. Mix 2 tablespoons whole dried eggs with 2 1/2 tablespoons water to have an equivalent of 1 fresh egg.
- An excellent source of protein and for low carb meals. Whole dried eggs can be substituted for nearly any baking or cooking needs requiring eggs.
- Produced from the freshest eggs less than 30 days old. Humanely Produced from UEP certified egg farmers. Made in the USA in a dedicated gluten-free facility and shipped in a standup, resealable pouch to ensure freshness.
Through spaghetti can be packed they also come in cans. So for those who love pasta, this is an excellent pick for you. Dehydrated pasta products can last you from 8 to 30 years, which is excellent enough during low food supply.
Beans are a great source of proteins, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. When consumed, beans will make you fuller for a long time while giving your body the energy it needs. Beans can last you up to 30 years or more depending on storage conditions.
Canned chickpeas just like lentils are a great pick in times of disaster or low food supply. They come when ready-cooked, which makes them an excellent choice, especially when you do not have time to cook.
- Palouse Brand is 100% committed to desiccant free farming. Palouse Brand foods are naturally dried by sunshine.
- These Kabuli Sierra Garbanzo Beans are as fresh as you can find! How many other people can tell you the exact field location and date we seeded and harvested?our website to identify the field we grew it in and harvest date.
- We are proud to be Certified Kosher Parve, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Food Alliance Certified.
If you love meat and would like to have a treat of the wild meat, then pemmican could be a great choice. The meat is traditionally prepared by drying it on fire. Flavoring and fat is then added to enhance its taste. It comes in different types which allow you to choose one that matches your needs.
- REAL FOOD BAR with a delicious smoky, spicy, and slightly sweet flavor, made with grass fed bison, black pepper, habanero, jalapeño and tart-sweet cranberries, more tender and moist than beef jerky
- WHOLE FOOD INGREDIENTS, only 70 calories, 7 grams of lean protein from grassfed bison raised on non-GMO grassland prairies
- HIGH PROTEIN snack fits nearly every diet lifestyle and is Certified Gluten-Free, nitrites-free, MSG-free, hormone-free, dairy-free, soy-free, low-fat and 100% natural
Dried corn is easy to cook and can last up to 10 years. Even after this period, it will remain safe to eat.
- VERSATILE & SMOOTH TEXTURE | GOYA White Hominy Corn is an essential ingredient throughout South America and Mexico and usually found in soups like menudo and pozole. One of the most consumed grains in the world, GOYA White Hominy Corn is perfect for preparing delicious arepas, bread dough or desserts.
- EXCELLENT DIET COMPATIBILITY | No Sugar Added, Vegan and Kosher. White Hominy Corn is a Fat Free, Saturated Fat Free, 0g Trans Fat, Cholesterol Free and Sodium Free Food.
- QUICK COOKING | GOYA White Hominy Corn is an indispensable ingredient in homemade soups, stews, salads and countless Latin recipes.
Cheese can last you long, especially when stored under the right conditions. When unopened, a can of cheese soup can last you between three to five years. However, it can last you long after the expiry date.
- Nationally Known Wisconsin Cheese Company Assortments and Samplers.
- GIFT IDEAS – Perfect for Every Holiday, Christmas, Corporate Gift Basket or Personal Event, Birthday, Thank You or Appreciation, Get Well, Graduation, Anniversary, Congratulations, Friendship, Summer, New Home and for Gift Giving Holidays; Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, Labor Day, 4th of July and others, Gift for Him, Gift For Dad, Gift for Mom, Gift for Families.
- EASY TO SEND – Delivered from your online order by Amazon |Fast and Easy Delivery to your Home or sent as a Gift | Some of our Items are Eligible for Free Shipping with Amazon Prime
Carrots are one of the vegetables which last long under right storage conditions. But getting dehydrated carrots can last you up to 25 years.
- PREMIUM Dehydrated Diced Carrots for soups, recipes, long term food supply and camping etc.
- VALUE SIZE Convenient Jumbo 1.5 Lb Reusable Container, by Its Delish brand
- FRESH & TASTY - Fresh, healthy and flavorful. Great for soups, stews, sauces, meatloaf, rice dishes etc.
Just like any other food item, vegetables can cost high, especially during low supply. And due to their high perishability, it will limit you to buy in bulk. Canned tomatoes come in handy when prepping for a survival treat.
- Grown Naturally
- Premium Quality
- Guaranteed Fresh. State of Readiness: Ready to Eat
Keeping your pantry stocked with these best canned food for survival may in fact save you and your family one day. Starting your prepper pantry can be very easy, just don’t get in a hurry and buy what is on sale. Doing this you can pick up some canned food for survival each week on your shopping trips. As you stick to these longest lasting canned foods you will see that you pantry grows effortlessly.
James BartonHi, I'm James. I am the founder and main editor for The Survival Corps. I have been a part of the survival and prepping community since my mid 30's as I downsized and started to prepare to be self sufficient in a time of crisis.
What is Aquaponics?
What is aquaponics? This is a valid question. Many people are not turning attention to this method of fish and vegetable farming.
Best MRE For Non-Military
MRE meals have been gaining popularity among survivalists, preppers, campers, and backpackers. In this blog post, we make things easier for you by rounding up and reviewing the best MRE meals you can buy.